Re: [Savannah-help-public] Access to Savannah thru http?

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: Re: [Savannah-help-public] Access to Savannah thru http?
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2005 13:52:09 +0100

On Sat, Feb 12, 2005 at 03:38:45AM -0500, Richard Stallman wrote:
> Many universities in India have firewalls that don't allow
> anything but HTTP.  I have heard that it is possible to
> access CVS through some kind of HTTP tunneling.  Is Savannah
> set up for this?  Are instructions posted in Savannah?
>
> Does this work for check-ins?

I am not very familiar with the problem. I think we need to have
listening daemon listening on port 80 at Savannah, that would redirect
the traffic to the appropriate port, with or without encapsulation in
HTTP from the client.

If this is the case, then at Savannah, this is currently not possible,
because port 80 is already used by Apache for sv.gnu and sv.nongnu
HTTP traffic.

The problem could be solved by adding another network
interface. However, indepently of the load caused by the tunnelling, I
do not think this approach can be used in the long run: if anytime we
add a service (eg GNU Arch or SVN) we need to add another interface to
redirect from port 80, we'll end up soon with a large amoung of
network interfaces plugged into Savannah.

Savannah people, do you have more information on this?

--
Sylvain