Re: [savannah-help-public] Slowness of Savannah in the morning

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: [savannah-help-public] Slowness of Savannah in the morning
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2013 21:33:53 GMT

Just today I received an update from sysadmin that they have reduced the
consumption of the backup job (again, this time in a different way),
which I had requested back at the time of the previous discussions.
We'll see if it helps.

I'm sure there is more to be done, in any case, as the load should not
get that high on the host in the first place.  At this point I believe
it is load on the vcs backend host (that holds the version control
repositories) that ripples through and causes requests to the frontend
vhost to time out.

My best guess at the moment is that there is simply too much disk
contention, and there is no quick fix.  The top processes at the time of
high load tend to be Apache and web browsing VC CGI scripts.  We've
already systematically made those processes run with a low priority (so
the machine doesn't get bogged down even worse) which has helped some
but, as you've seen, not solved the problem.  I don't have an answer.

So, I don't have a good answer, but the above is the status.

karl