[savannah-help-public] [sr #108460] ease.js: git push --force

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: [savannah-help-public] [sr #108460] ease.js: git push --force
Date: Thu, 26 Dec 2013 08:24:18 +0000

Update of sr #108460 (project administration):

             Assigned to:                    None => rwp

Follow-up Comment #2:

As you know once you publish source code it is then published forever.  The
general rule for public master branches is never to rewind public master
branches.  We are especially cautious about doing so on Savannah because
people have tried to suppress previously released source code in this way.
This is specifically disabled due to this reason.  Therefore I never simply
remove source code lightly.  I always investigate in detail.

I cloned both projects and compared them.  I see three commits to master on
Savannah that are identical to what are on gitorious but with different commit
dates and therefore different commit hashes forcing a fork in the version
history.  I can see that isn't a real difference and therefore I have gone
ahead and rewound the head on Savannah to the last common commit between the
two repositories.  You should be able to push your new version history to
Savannah on top of this.

This is clearly bad for anyone that has already pulled a copy from Savannah
previously.  Rewinding public branches is a bad thing.

I noticed that the project description for the web page was the default
template.  I updated it.

Please let me know that you have uploaded your version history successfully
and I will close out this ticket.  I branched master over to master.mistake
and the same for website.  I will clean up by removing master.mistake when I
know that all is good.  Let me know if there is anything else that needs to be
done.

  <http://savannah.gnu.org/support/?108460>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.gnu.org/