Re: [savannah-help-public] SSH Setup Not Working

From: Fred Wright
Subject: Re: [savannah-help-public] SSH Setup Not Working
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2016 10:49:23 -0800 (PST)

Gee, two responses for the price of one. :-)

On Sun, 18 Dec 2016, Assaf Gordon wrote:
> > On Dec 18, 2016, at 02:07, Fred Wright <address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> > I've been using anonymous git access for quite some time, but since I'm
> > about to get commit access on a project, I'm attempting to get SSH access
> > working.
>
> Due to the current implementation of savannah, only users who have
> write-access to a project (any project) are able to login with SSH .
>
> You are currently not a member of any project on savannah, and thus your user
> is rejected.
>
> However,
> I verified that your SSH key is installed properly and the fingerprint does
> match.
> Once you are added as a project member, you will be able to login with SSH.

OK.

On Sun, 18 Dec 2016, Bob Proulx wrote:
> Fred Wright wrote:
> > I've been using anonymous git access for quite some time, but since I'm
> > about to get commit access on a project, I'm attempting to get SSH access
> > working.  I've uploaded my RSA public key, and it looks correct in the web
> > interface.  But the ssh -v output indicates that it's not being
> > recognized.  It's been a few hours since I uploaded the key, and my
> > impression is that the cron job to update the keys runs hourly.  Is it
> > possible that the cron job is not running?
>
> The problem is that you are not yet a member of any project.  It does
> seem a little odd on the outside of things but the way Savannah's SQL
> query of the database works also requires an active membership in a
> group.  Since you are not a project member yet that is why ssh isn't
> working.  Because the SQL query doesn't return your record.

OK.  I was trying to be proactive by testing SSH access prior to getting
commit access, but I guess I got punished for it. :-)

> This has come up a few times already.  I am not sure what the
> reasoning is behind this logic.  I don't want to change it without
> discussion among the group.  I think it would make sense to allow it
> even for members who are not a member of any group.

If it can't be fixed, then it would at least be a good idea to document
it.  Incorrect expectations cost both my time and yours.

> Also, as long as I am here, please do upload a GPG key as well so that
> in the future it can be used as an identity verifier.

OK.  I wasn't aware that that was important.

Fred Wright