Re: [Savannah-register-public] guile-cairo documentation license and sav

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: Re: [Savannah-register-public] guile-cairo documentation license and savannah
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2011 10:11:31 +0200

Hi Richard,

Thank you for your reply.

As far as quality goes, perhaps it would be better to rewrite from
scratch.  I fear that no one will do this, however.  The auto-converted
manual -- which is really more an API reference than a manual, in the
GNU sense -- is suboptimal in many respects, but it does document the
Cairo API without pointing users (who might not know C) to upstream
docs.  And it includes the 80+ pages of thoughtful text that Cairo folk
have done; they know the library better than I do.

One good point as well is that as Cairo documentation changes, gets
better, etc, I can import those changes from Cairo into the docs, using
a docbook-to-texinfo converter that I wrote some years ago.

On Tue 26 Apr 2011 23:46, Richard Stallman <address@hidden> writes:

> The real issue is that we want to get the documentation under the
> GFDL.

It would be nice if GPL text could be used in a GFDL-licensed work.  Is
that a way out here?  LGPLv2.1 -> GPLv3.1 -> GFDL ?  (Granted it would
take a few years, and it's not worth doing for just this one case, but
it would be useful.)

In the meantime, if you are OK with it, we can treat this situation as a
work-in-progress, but one would not impede hosting of this project on
savannah.

Regards,

Andy
--