Re: [Savannah-users] Removing old user accounts with no past activity

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: Re: [Savannah-users] Removing old user accounts with no past activity
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 15:56:28 +0200

On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 02:53:42PM +0200, address@hidden wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, dem 30. Jul 2009 schrieb Sylvain Beucler:
>
> > We're currently working on a new web front-end that will be easier to
> > improve
> > and maintain.
>
> You mean you won't use Savane anymore?
> Or do you mean to just improve it?
>
> > When working on data migration we saw that more than 1/2 user accounts are
> > inactive, that is, they registered more than one year ago, they didn't
> > submit
> > or comment on a tracker or news item, they are not part of any group, not
> > did
> > they submit a request for contributor.
> >
> > We're not talking about spammer accounts (who usually at least send spam on
> > the trackers or news, and got desactivated) - just people who registered,
> > but
> > only have a basic profile.
> >
> > We're considering doing some clean-up here and mass-remove these accounts.
> > What are your thoughts?
>
> Please don't!
> While I'm active at savannah, but for example I have registered my username
> on gna.org just so that nobody could fetch it away, as I've seen it on other
> portals. I think that's a good reason, isn't it?

I mentioned in the other thread that you could (say) comment the news
item about planned accounts deletion, which would leave a mark of
activity and exclude your account from the batch-removal :)

If you need to keep the account I thing it's reasonable to ask for a
lil bit of history or activity.

> Maybe, if you have the e-mail adresses, you should at least contact the people
> you want to remove.

We're talking about 30-40,000 users, sadly.

> Apropos, will gna.org also change?

We haven't discussed this yet, after all this is a work in progress.

The plan is to use a web framework (Django) to reimplement the base
features, and possibly keep other independant parts as-is, at least in
a first step.

--
Sylvain