self-platform-dev

[Self-platform-dev] "My" Resources, and what about resources from others

From: Wouter Tebbens
Subject: [Self-platform-dev] "My" Resources, and what about resources from others?
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 10:39:41 +0200

Dear all,

I just saw how empty our collections are and I decided I wanted to import a few more existing educational materials. Let me explain what I did so you get an insight in how some users think and we see where things need to be improved.

My mind was set on the "GNU/Linux Advanced administration" material from the UOC that we have translated into English.

When not logged in, this material was already in the "My Resources" section of the FileManager. Anonymous users can not import, and should not, so far so good. But I logged in and couldn't see the file anymore. There is no way I can see all files added to the filemanager, or simple minded user as I am, I couldn't find out how quickly.

So I tried to add the file. But that is not possible as we've agreed that it doesn't make sense to add the same file twice. So, congrats for this bit: it does work!

BTW Searching all files doesn't yet work.

My conclusion from this little use case is that most parts work, although I suggest that two important things should be added:
1. a way to see ALL files added to the FileManager
2. when the user wants to add an existing file to the FileManager, the error message should show the already existing file. And in case it is a SCORM file: put a link to the Course Object that has been created from it during import.

3. And now that we're at it: I suggest that users can sort the list of files on each of the various fields in the list (name, date, size, filetype, rating)

4. the modified date field in the files list is a bit long ("2008/03/20 17:57:27.308 GMT+1"), don't you think? I guess date and time (in hours and minutes, no seconds nor miliseconds!) should be fine.

Do you agree with that?

Best,

Wouter