AW: [Simulavr-devel] docs and naming [was: Re: Emergency Makefile and co

From: Frost_Tobias
Subject: AW: [Simulavr-devel] docs and naming [was: Re: Emergency Makefile and config.h for manual configuration]
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2004 18:15:52 +0100

Well, I do not really understand the purpose and the sense of the discussion
about the naming of simulavrxx...

>My intent was not to kill simulavr; it's just that users will have
>questions, such as:
>- Why is it called SimulAVRXX now, instead of SimulAVR?
>- What's the difference between simulavrxx and simulavr?
>- Why didn't they keep the name simulavr? and just change the version

Simulavr is NOT called simulavarxx now!
Maybe the "xx" is like an "++" (C++)?? It's only a theory, but that was the
first thought when I got intouch with simulavrxx the first time.
(Klaus, am I in the right direction?)

Simulavr and Simulavrxx shares only one point: They are simulators for AVR
MCUs.
Thats all.
Beside that, one could say, they are _completly_ different programms with
completly different
software achitecures.
IMO Thats why you can not only increment version numbers.
To my best knowledge, simulavrxx has been nearly rewritten from scratch.

There are some major differences between simulavr (1) and simulavrxx (2):
- (1) is programmed in C, (2) is object oriented (C++)
- (1) has no interface for simulating external hardware, (2) has.
- (2) has an scripting interface

>- Why do I have to use simulavrxx.exe?
I think, this question has to be asked again, as soon as someone volunteers
to port
simulavrxx to the windows world.

>- What happened to simulavr?
Nothing. It's still there, even it seems that there is no progress on this
project.

Best regards

Tobi