Re: AW: [Simulavr-devel] docs and naming [was: Re: Emergency Makefile an

From: Klaus Rudolph
Subject: Re: AW: [Simulavr-devel] docs and naming [was: Re: Emergency Makefile and config.h for manual configuration]
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2004 19:49:56 +0100

Frost_Tobias schrieb:

Maybe the "xx" is like an "++" (C++)?? It's only a theory, but that was the
first thought when I got intouch with simulavrxx the first time. (Klaus, am I in the right direction?)
The first given name was simulavr++, but it was not clear that the build tools, cvs, savanah and all the related tools will be able to handle a ++ in the project name. Fot that reason Bill and I selected the xx as addition to the name. Thats the complete history. Maybe the fallen + to x will show that we have a lot of work to make a + from x now :-)

Simulavr and Simulavrxx shares only one point: They are simulators for AVR
MCUs.
Yes!

Thats all.

No! :-) We use also some lines of common code and some interfaces.

Beside that, one could say, they are _completly_ different programms with
completly different software achitecures.
I think that architecture is not right for simulavrxx. I started to write and some days I read some thread in simulavr-devel that there are some features "new" which I have released long time ago. So Theodore asked me to offer the simulavr++ for the project and also "spend" the project on savannah. So simulavrxx comes to simulavr. But it was never designed for public and this could be seen inside. So please never speak again from
architecture :-))

IMO Thats why you can not only increment version numbers. To my best knowledge, simulavrxx has been nearly rewritten from scratch.

Right.

There are some major differences between simulavr (1) and simulavrxx (2):
- (1) is programmed in C, (2) is object oriented (C++)
- (1) has no interface for simulating external hardware, (2) has.
- (2) has an scripting interface

(2) has tracing possibility
(2) has multi core simulation
(2) has more supported hardware
(2) is nearly timing accurate
(2) is full featured with reading elf files for debugging/tracing/....
(2) supports a gui interface in addition to the scripting which enables LCD, Switches, ... what you want... !inside! the simulation
and some things more.

- Why do I have to use simulavrxx.exe?
I think, this question has to be asked again, as soon as someone volunteers
to port
simulavrxx to the windows world.

Who have a simulavrxx.exe. can I get a copy please. Also the Makefile is required!

- What happened to simulavr?
Nothing. It's still there, even it seems that there is no progress on this
project.
I will pach it if errors will be found. This I have allready done one time. If someone presents new features for simulav I will also help to include that. But I think that is not my favorite and it makes no sense, because simulavr is the older lower featured solution. But maybe the windows port is an argument which is more then an other feature.
The user wil decide this.

Nice that we have now so much mailes in simulavr-devel. But nothing which helps the project:-( Sorry, this was a joke!

Marry Christmas
  Klaus