Re: [Simulavr-devel] Simulavr error

From: Knut Schwichtenberg
Subject: Re: [Simulavr-devel] Simulavr error
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 23:37:48 +0200

Bill,

William Rivet wrote:
I'll just pipe in that I'm currently working on replacing the build
system for simulavrxx with something more sane via CMake...thanks to a
little nudging by Michael Buesch :-)
Early this year I tried to build simulavrxx and got it running under Linux with ordinary make and without problems. Make was annoying and did not change for the last 15 years but GNU make is running under cygwin as well as under any *nix. What is the benefit for me as a user of simulavrxx in using CMake? Personally I want to use an AVR simulator, which forces me to install a tool chain to build it!? It's quiet bad that there are no simulavrxx-RPMs for the major *nix distributions.

Klaus sent me his plain makefile without any config things. The result was that the TCL-graphic interface lib was build and the anacomp example did work on this GUI. Is the current Python port working correctly for you? With the Python GUI PORTB did not change visually. Changing the analog levels in the GUI the corresponding lines in the source code were processed, but the GUI did not show the differences. With TCL everything worked fine.

If there is interest in simulavrxx, pipe up. I tend to spend time on
this when I get people asking questions (like this :-) )

Yes, I would like to have a mostly complete AVR simulator running under LINUX. As described by my documentation update there is space to improve the simulator kernel (Sleep, Bootloader, ADC, ...) and also a reduction of the host CPU requirements would be beautiful. Of course it could be a great step forward if the simulator kernel would be complete. After that it would be also a serious step forward to create the missing CPUs by a tricky preprocessing based on the ATMEL partdescription XML-files.

BTW: Some month ago I asked the readers of this list to comment on a documentation update. Either my English is perfect - which I can't believe - or nobody read it - which can be interpreted as a level of interest in simulavrxx, but I did not get any feedback from the list until now.

So first I'll go on holiday and afterwards - end of next week I'll submit the documentation patch - if there is no additional update work.

Cheers
Knut