Re: [Simulavr-devel] Use of Python in simulavrxx

From: Knut Schwichtenberg
Subject: Re: [Simulavr-devel] Use of Python in simulavrxx
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2009 09:40:43 +0100

Jörg,

Joerg Wunsch schrieb:
> ...but I never really got
> to like Tcl myself.
Me too :-).

> I didn't look at it, but only guessing from what I've seen: all these
> interpreter interfaces are derived using SWIG.  In that case, there's
> probably no reason to drop the Python stuff, as SWIG is handling all
> the low-level details, so nobody has to personally take care about it.
>
> If there's really noone around to maintain the Python part, I guess
> I'll find someone whom I could convince. ;-)
If we go like this the next one comes and says if SWIG can interface Java, perl,
ruby php please add support for these too - it's not much but the little
configuration of SWIG.
Just to come back to my original statement ALL examples need a TCL Interpreter
for the GUI! To test with GUI and simulavrxx checkdebug.* is started and the
first this script does is starting a TCL script for the graphical
representation. Python was used for the flow-control of the start-up handled by
the script "checkdebug". checkdebug could also be shell-script if SWIG provides
an interface.

Checkdebug is a simplified frame of the simulator - it is like the main if you
like simulavrxx as a program. As long as there is no real "Simulavr-Studio" we
should not add to much effort into this.

Knut