Re: [Simulavr-devel] Net/TxData Magic Pin Thoughts

From: Joel Sherrill
Subject: Re: [Simulavr-devel] Net/TxData Magic Pin Thoughts
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 17:27:07 -0500

address@hidden wrote:
On Wed Apr  1 16:58 , Joel Sherrill  sent:

address@hidden wrote:

Does that mean that there will be steps taken to ensure that
the data format sent matches the data format expected?
What do you mean by this?

If, for example, the UART is set to send 7-bit chunks,
but the receiver is expecting 8-bit chunks,
the byte-probe simulation might work even
if the real thing wouldn't have a chance. IIRC parity and endian mismatches are also possible.

Using Knut's suggestion, we could extend the
byte interface to send setup information so this
was available even in the byte mode. If there were a sanity
check via a handshake message at the beginning, that
would be great.  Then the feedback could deal with bytes
past that.

The byte probe is sending the same value being shifted
out so the parity and 6/7 bit should match from a value
standpoint.

Remember my goal is to simulate a device sending
whole messages back and forth.  So it is more appropriate
to writ this level of simulation at a byte level.
I am looking at a set command on the UI something like this
>from memory:
set SerialTx D-0x42

D=data
B=break

This way the byte is delivered intact and there is no reassembly
so more like how you would read it from a UART RX register.

It looked like the code in gui.tcl reading the UI expects only
a couple of arguments.
--joel