Re: [Simulavr-devel] RFC: a few feature ideas

From: Knut Schwichtenberg
Subject: Re: [Simulavr-devel] RFC: a few feature ideas
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 20:24:30 +0200

Sorry for my late reply, but the day has only 24hours...
Joel Sherrill wrote:
> As I have been working on getting a feedback
> and testing framework built for a real application,
> I have come across a few things I think would
> be useful.  I would like to bounce them all off
> of you.
While your bounce does not seem to hurt, I'll answer too.

> + A mechanism to load the contents of the eeprom
> to a file and subsequently save it to that file.
That's really useful.

> + exit command from feedback/ui. So it can determine
> when to terminate a simulation.
That's really necessary for testing the gcc test suite. But that means you are
adding a kind of special breakpoint on special label. Before doing this I think
it is necessary to dive into gdb and see if gdb can be scripted in this way.

> + optional time "pulse" from simulated avr to
> feedback/ui so it can stay in time sync with
> simulation time.  I was thinking of an optional
> object with a configurable time to pulse.
What do you mean? A kind of stopwatch?

> + possibly having the simulator stop after the
> time pulse until the ui/feedback says continue.
> This would give the ui/feedback time to update
> the "real world" in sync with the simulated avr.
> I have done similar things in the past and frame
> rates of 100 Hz (stop simulated processor every
> 10 milliseconds of sim time) for updates of
> real world.
Is this a kind of freeze until the update pulse comes - opposite to the current
implementation, were each change goes straight through to the ui?

> Comments appreciated.
Major comment - I would appreciate a kind of wish list file in the CVS were all
wishes are added with the subject and the author and only updated if there are
new ideas for a wish. The discussion via e-mail leads to a confusing deep levels
of replys. Maybe a part of the savannah features can be used for it.

Knut