Re: [Simulavr-devel] Support for atmega2560 in the future?

From: ThomasK
Subject: Re: [Simulavr-devel] Support for atmega2560 in the future?
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2009 10:11:31 +0200

Hi Martin,

I hope other people will find time to support you, and I hope I will do so, in the future!

Maybe that this could become my job ... ;-) If you have some experience with the code, it's not really hard work. But to insert some code is one part, to test it the other. It's not really nice to get a program which should support a feature and you step in a error, seeking, what's the bug in YOUR code and a few days later (from your precious free time!) you'll understand, that this was a bug in this program. Really not nice. ;-)

By the way, you're not save, that there are no bugs. Michael has found out a few weeks before such bug, (write PIN to toggle PORT) and I'm sure, that he was also seeking a lot of hours before. Hold it in mind!

And we are lucky about every good description from a found bug in simulavr, the best would be with a piece of code to get this bug. Or some code to test something in simulavr.

For my interest: which hardware components you want to use in your Atmega2560 code, eg. timer, uart and so one. To get the full blown device working with one shot takes much more time as to start with a few components and to accept, that this isn't a full functional simulation for this device.

[1] In the README it's noticed "./configure --enable-bfd=DIRECTORY_TO_BINUTILS/BFD" but correct would be "./configure --with-bfd=/DIR-TO-AVR-TOOLKIT-ROOT

Hm, the first one is right, but also the second in some cases. :-) I know, that there are sometimes problems with the original binutils-bfd-lib!

Normally you don't need the AVR cross variant from bfd library, the variant from system is enough, we don't use any AVR specific part. I'm not sure, what's the reason, (I have a theory, but not tested) but I know, that, if you use the systems bfd library, it can end in a segfault. It happens on loading elf file in avrdevice.cpp. In this case you can fix it by pointing to AVR specific bfd library. In documentation on GIT repo I wrote something about that.

cu, Thomas