Re: [Social-discuss] Features [was Welcome to the proper social-discuss

From: Carlos Ross
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2009 17:41:09 -0400

I think you should use Elgg, because is an open source social networking plataform with a big community who support it.

take a look here:

http://elgg.org

2009/8/24 Rob Myers <address@hidden>
On 24/08/09 21:18, Matt Lee wrote:
> Here's we'll be discussing the development of GNU social.
> [...]
> * Create a simple clone of a Facebook-style social site with basic
> objects for events, photos, notes, etc.

I think a tabbed look is a good idea.

At the data level, I think the most basic objects are -

User (and User request if we require email confirmation)
Friendship (and Friendship request to allow confirmation by the other
person)
Photo (because people need avatars if nothing else)

And then there's various message and status objects that can be added
incrementally -

Status (A status for a user a la OMB)
Public-message-to (A public message on another user's page)
Private-message-to (A private, direct, email-style message to another user)
Event (with details)
Event-attendance (will you be attending?)

Photos can have more complexity later -

Photo-set (A set of photos, for easy organization)
Photo-comment (A comment on a photo)

Since we want the system to be federated (or federatable), friendships
and various other relationships should refer to a URL rather than a
simple ID.

- Rob.