Re: [Social-discuss] Features [was Welcome to the proper social-discuss

From: Melvin Carvalho
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2009 23:47:41 +0200

On Mon, Aug 24, 2009 at 11:27 PM, Rob Myers<address@hidden> wrote:
> On 24/08/09 21:18, Matt Lee wrote:
>> Here's we'll be discussing the development of GNU social.
>> [...]
>> * Create a simple clone of a Facebook-style social site with basic
>> objects for events, photos, notes, etc.
>
> I think a tabbed look is a good idea.

+1 facebook style tabbed look is great

> At the data level, I think the most basic objects are -
>
> User (and User request if we require email confirmation)
> Friendship (and Friendship request to allow confirmation by the other
> person)
> Photo (because people need avatars if nothing else)

Yes I think these are key starters.  It would be nice if the profiles
were machine readable, just as libre.fm are.

> And then there's various message and status objects that can be added
> incrementally -
>
> Status (A status for a user a la OMB)
> Public-message-to (A public message on another user's page)
> Private-message-to (A private, direct, email-style message to another user)
> Event (with details)
> Event-attendance (will you be attending?)

OpenSocial object reference has a few more defined along the lines of events

http://wiki.opensocial.org/index.php?title=JavaScript_API_Reference

Though that may not be the ideal solution for this project, it is
probably some food for thought.

Some other projects to look at in PHP

http://elgg.org/
http://code.google.com/p/partuza/
http://noserub.com/
http://knowee.org/

I'm also working on a sem web style distirbuted soc net, but it's not
quite in alpha.  I'll post back to the list when it is, but it would
be great if we could work out an open messaging API so that the
systems could talk to each other.

> Photos can have more complexity later -
>
> Photo-set (A set of photos, for easy organization)
> Photo-comment (A comment on a photo)
>
> Since we want the system to be federated (or federatable), friendships
> and various other relationships should refer to a URL rather than a
> simple ID.

+1