straw-devel

[Straw-devel] Lookups Bug

From: Ryan P Skadberg
Subject: [Straw-devel] Lookups Bug
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 13:14:18 -0400

I think I just found a nasty buy in hostname lookups, though I will
never be able to find it in the code.  I was screwing with Network
Constraints and then watched my TCP/IP traffic.  Here's what I saw:

a ServFail on one of the blogs I read

then, as it continued along, instead of one servfail, there were then 2,
then 3, then 4, etc, etc until it filled up Max connection with just
servfails from this one blog.  It looks like we have an array of servers
to lookup and when we fail, instead of just marking as retry or popping
it from the list and re-pushing on to it, we are just pushing it on to
the list and it is checking it twice in the next loop and then three
times in the next, etc and this causes max connections to just fill up
with servfails instead of actually doing anything.

Can someone who knows the code better than I look in to this?  I think
this is the problem with my time out feed.  It seems to stop getting
data taken because there are no available connections for it to go out
on.

Thanks!
Skadz
 Ryan P Skadberg                          E: address@hidden
 The Stigmata Organization                U: http://www.stigmata.org/
  GPG fingerprint = 0B97 F771 E7D2 69B2 FF5C  5693 4E25 7E77 DEF0 CA4B