Re: [STUMP] Monitor long running tasks in Stumpwm

From: David Bjergaard
Subject: Re: [STUMP] Monitor long running tasks in Stumpwm
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2014 16:47:41 -0400

Hi Stefan,

The "new" way of getting the word out is to write a module as a
quicklisp's quickproject package and then advertise a link to it.  Users
can then obtain their module however you distribute it, and load it
using (load-module "module-name") in their stumpwmrc. There are lots of
examples of modules that define new mode-line format strings in the
contrib repo: https://github.com/stumpwm/stumpwm-contrib

I need to write up a tutorial for writing new modules.  The general
pattern is (quasi-pseudo code):
(ql:quickload "quickproject")
(quickproject:make-project "~/path/to/project")
;; hack on files in project.lisp

If the project lives in "/path/to/contrib/util/monitor" then you should
be able to (load-module "monitor") if not, you will have to add the
location of your module to the "load-path"

I've created a wiki page on the contrib repo that you can use to
advertise your module:
https://github.com/stumpwm/stumpwm-contrib/wiki/User-Contributed-Modules

Include in your docs instructions for setting up and using the module
(don't use other modules as examples, most of them don't ship with any
information, though there are exceptions).

Also, emailing the list is another great way to advertise new modules.

Cheers,

    Dave