Re: [STUMP] Monitor long running tasks in Stumpwm

From: David Bjergaard
Subject: Re: [STUMP] Monitor long running tasks in Stumpwm
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2014 10:28:48 -0400

Michael Raskin <address@hidden> writes:

>>The "new" way of getting the word out is to write a module as a
>>quicklisp's quickproject package and then advertise a link to it.  Users
>>can then obtain their module however you distribute it, and load it
>>using (load-module "module-name") in their stumpwmrc. There are lots of
>>examples of modules that define new mode-line format strings in the
>>contrib repo: https://github.com/stumpwm/stumpwm-contrib
>
> Isn't it in our current interest to keep modules in stumpwm-contrib
> repository, but in separate ASDF systems?
Yes, and no.  Modules that were originally included in contrib have been
ported to ASDF and exist in stumpwm-contrib (a separate repo).  New
modules should be tested and distributed separately.

> It shows users which modules there are without having to look around,
> and it is easier to collect module forks into branches
> of stumpwm-contrib this way.
I agree in the former, but a simple link to the Modules page on the wiki
from the contrib README.org should put user contributed modules on equal
footing. If popular demand is high enough (whatever that means), and
more importantly the module is well organized and tested, then it makes
sense to maintain a *stable* version in stumpwm-contrib.

The exception to this is swm-emacs which is a port/hack of StumpMACS,
which was ported from Deep Space Window Manager around a year ago.  If I
were to follow the rules strictly, swm-emacs shouldn't be included in
stumpwm-contrib just yet.

> I would even say that creating a lot of small StumpWM modules
> as QuickLisp packages is polluting QuickLisp package list…
I agree, but this isn't happening.  stumpwm-contrib isn't included as a
quicklisp package, nor are any of the submodules.  The confusion is that
quickproject:make-project creates the boilerplate for an ASDF system
that can be loaded by quicklisp.  No where in the chain are
stumpwm-modules, whole or in part, distributed with quicklisp.