Re: Which Machine for swarm: Pentium Pro, or SUN Ultra 140?

From: Randall Gray
Subject: Re: Which Machine for swarm: Pentium Pro, or SUN Ultra 140?
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 1997 08:21:56 +1000 (EST)

> From: Jae Chan Oh <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 7 Apr 1997 17:23:53 -0400 (EDT)

> We have choice of buying either Pentium Pro or Sun Ultra 140 for swarm
        <snickersnack>
> Does anyone have any preference between the two?

In Australia (at least) the answer is fairly easy: go with the intel
based machine.  We recently purchased a dual processor machine with
roughly 2/3 the grunt of our "central number crunching" machines at
work for about 1/5 the price tag.  Buy the extra memory for the PC --
it is even nicer.  Linux can make huge disk buffers when there is no
other demand for the memory and this is a *very* nice use which speeds
things up quite a lot.

> We will use Linux for Pentum-Pro and Solaris for SUN, of course.

Linux is available on SPARCS: there is a port to Ultras which is
running (though still in development).  Apparently it flys.

Dunno what the exchange rate is today, so I guess this is worth what
ever I get for it ;-)

        -- Randall