Re: Which Machine for swarm: Pentium Pro, or SUN Ultra 140?

From: Todd Allen
Subject: Re: Which Machine for swarm: Pentium Pro, or SUN Ultra 140?
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 1997 21:41:51 -0400

Jae,

For the money the Pentium is the clear choice.  I run a dual Pro-200
machine under Linux 2.0 at home and a Sun Sparc Ultra 1 at school and
have found that the performance is nearly identical when running Swarm.
With the huge drop in pentium pro 200 prices this week due to the
release of the 233 and 266 processors, I'd recommend getting a dual
pentium pro box.  Swarm can't directly take advantage of the second
processor, but performance is still enhanced due to the off-loading of
much of the OS and X windows overhead onto the second processor.  If
you're going to go with a single processor you may want to look into one
of the new faster processors.  The Pentium II 233 is selling for about
what the Pro-200 was a month ago, and the 266 is about a hundred more.

Regards,

Todd

--
Todd Allen
The Johns Hopkins University

        "Rational expectations is rigorous deduction
         based upon faulty assumptions." - Brian Arthur