Re: Simulating Individual Behavior

From: Mark P. Line
Subject: Re: Simulating Individual Behavior
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 1997 13:03:21 -0700

Jan Kreft wrote:

> Mark P. Line wrote:
>
> > Helmut Vetterle (1986) _Konstruktion und Simulation mikroanalytischer
> > Modelle. Die Methode der Mikrosimulation und ihre Anwendung_ ("Design
> > and Simulation of Microanalytical Models: Method and Application of
> > Microsimulation"). Augsburg: MaroVerlag. >150 refs.
>
> That would be fine! Would you make that diss available? I, personally,
> don't need a translation but most people will :-(.

In the short term, I'm willing to loan the book out if it does happen to
be out of print. Check your bookstore to see, and send me your snail
address if you want me to loan you my copy.

The address of the publisher given in the book is

   MaroVerlag, Benno Ka"smayr
   Riedingerstr. 24
   [new zipcode?] Augsburg

The copyright for the book is held by

   Beratungsgesellschaft fu"r angewandte Systemforschung mbH - Augsburg
   Haunstetterstr. 19
   [new zipcode?] Augsburg
   (phone +49-821-571093)

The ISBN is 3-87512-501-0.

Please let me know what you find out about the book's print status. If
it's out of print, I'll try to get permission from the outfit in
Augsburg to put relevant excerpts on the Web (the parts about
state-of-the-art (anno 1986) hardware and software technology are not
very relevant, except historically) as soon as I can get to it.

====

I should have also mentioned Martin Clarke's work in spatial
microsimulation, which he had been doing for quite a while by the
mid-80's; I assume he's still doing it. See, for instance,

   Clarke, Martin (1986) "Demographic processes and household dynamics:
   microsimulation approach", in Robert Woods and Philip Rees (eds.)
   _Population Structures and Models_. London: Allen & Unwin.

====

There was a whole Sonderforschungsbereich (SFB; a federally funded
research focus) in Germany on microsimulation, especially with federal
policy applications, which has probably ended by now. It was SFB 3,
"Mikroanalytische Grundlagen der Gesellschaftspolitik" ['Microanalytical
Foundations/Underpinnings/Bases of/for Social Policy'], in Mannheim or
Frankfurt, I believe. The DFG (Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft, like NSF
in this country) would certainly know how to access their mountain of
grey literature.

====

After posting that message yesterday, I started wondering what had
happened in microsim since I last took a look. I found a lot on the Web
searching under the usual terms ('microsimulation', 'mikrosimulation',
'microanalytical', 'mikroanalytisch'). Here are a few items I liked:

   http://www.tc.cornell.edu/Edu/SPUR/SPUR96/Greta/report.html

   http://www-cpr.maxwell.syr.edu/demogctr/micropap/microlst.htm

   http://petty.econ.rochester.edu/nas.htm

   http://itkwww.kub.nl:2080/TUP/Fondslijst/Eco/9536-5.html