Re: Debugging Swarm programs.

From: dsumpter
Subject: Re: Debugging Swarm programs.
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 14:03:16 GMT

Hi again,

"J.J. Merelo Guervos" <address@hidden> wrote
>Unless you have written the objc debugger, you wouldn't want to get
>into sendmsg.c. That's obj-c code proper, and the best thing is to
>skip over it.

Sorry to make you spell it out to me, but how do I skip over it? The error
appears whenever I use step OR next. I don't have access to the source files
for objective-c so I can't simply point the debugger to these files (as Nelson
sugggested). As far as I can tell, objective C libs were not built with debug
option on, so I'm not sure why the debugger is even looking for them?

>If you do that, it will stop looking for _your_ code and look only at
>the library code.

O.K.

address@hidden (Nelson Minar) wrote
>Your error is a crash inside the gcc runtime, which is kind of a
>bummer. When I debugged Swarm I found it useful to get inside the
>runtime and figure out what was going on - in particular, print out
>the values of super and sel. But this is kinda complicated, I could
>understand if you didn't want to have to deal with it.
>
>Your error suggests to me that either you're mangling memory somehow,
>or else you haven't finalized an object creation properly. Are you
>calling createEnd everywhere you should be?

The error is just in the debugger, and not fatal to program execution. The same
problems arise when I run 'heatbugs' through the debugger, for example. I don't
care if I never see any debugging messages for anything outside my own
code.....
all I want is to stop these annoying error (maybe warning is a better phrase)
messages which prevent easy stepping through code.

David.

P.S. Its nice to know you give such a quick response to my problems. Thanks
alot.