Re: Changing the list return address

From: glen e. p. ropella
Subject: Re: Changing the list return address
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 1996 05:50:33 -0700

A couple of people have asked that I switch the "Reply-To:"
field for swarm-support back to whatever the Sender fill's
it in as instead of using the majordomo feature of filling
it with the list address.

There are at least two reasons for this opinion: 1) simple
"reply" commands intended to go only to the author of said
message don't have to be edited to do just that, and 2) poorly
configured e-mail bounce mechanisms, which are configured to
go to the "Reply-To:" field instead of the "From:" field, won't
bounce things to the list.

These are good reasons; but, I don't agree that they are strong enough
to warrant that configuration. I think that all relevant Swarm
discussion should be archived so that previous problems can be found
and perused.  E.g.  Claudia's recent problem that was archived in the
e-mail archives.  The fairly "innocent" error of getting a reply
(possible solution to a problem) directly to the sender but not to the
list runs the risk of allowing bugs and problems longer lives than
desireable.  Plus it pragmatically forces the list to lean toward
the "info-dissemination" philosophy rather than the "interaction"
philosophy I think the Swarm support list should follow.

Now, that said.... What do the rest of y'all think.  Truthfully,
[grin] it's arbitrary.  Concientious participants will always
make sure messages go where they intended and if they don't succeed
the first time, they'll try again.  So, it really doesn't matter
in that sense.  So, I'll do whatever most of the list wants.

glen
p.s. So far I have 2 votes for "Reply-To:" == "Sender:" and one
(mine) for "Reply-To:" == "swarm-support".

|glen e. p. ropella (address@hidden) |                                  |
|Hive Drone, SFI Swarm Project         |            Hail Eris!            |
|http://www.trail.com/~gepr/home.html  |                                  |