Re: Set_c createEnd problem

From: Bohdan Durnota
Subject: Re: Set_c createEnd problem
Date: Fri, 06 Dec 1996 15:38:07 +1100 (EST)

> Bohdan -- in response to your question about Set_c:
>
> In the case of Set, the name you should send createBegin: to is just
> Set, not Set_c.  Set is a special "factory" object that is published
> in the library header file (collections.h), which is the only header
> file you should ordinarily include to use this library.  (Single header
> files summarizing all the publicly visible interface are in process of
> being established for additional libraries).  When you send createBegin:
> to Set, it does not send the message to the compiled version of Set_c,
> but to a different class generated to contain just the create phase
> behavior.  That's most likely while you're crashing.  It's all part of
> internal implementation machinery that a caller isn't supposed to have
> to deal with.
>
> Your code should work if you change it from:
>
> >     Set_c * aSet;
> >
> >     aSet = [Set_c createBegin: [self getZone]];
> >     [aSet createEnd];
>
> to:
>
>       Set  aSet;
>
>       aSet = [Set createBegin: [self getZone]];
>       aSet = [aSet createEnd];   // aSet could be a new id, in some versions
>
> This code, with no messages between createBegin/End, has the same effect as:
>
>       Set  aSet;
>
>       aSet = [Set create: [self getZone]];
>

> Roger Burkhart

Ta, Got all that.

Now, if I have in my header file

        #import <collections.h>

        @interface ....
        - (Set *) xxxxxx;

I get a parse error at the - (Set *) line.

If I id the Set return type, and have in my implementation file

        #import <collections.h>

        @implementation ...
        - (Set *) xxxxx {
                .... }

I also get a parse error at that line (and also Set undeclared error
when I try to declare a variable to be of type Set).

It all seems that Set is not being found.

Any suggestions?

Thanks again, Bohdan