Re: minor problem in NormalDistribution?

From: Sven N. Thommesen
Subject: Re: minor problem in NormalDistribution?
Date: Mon, 03 Feb 1997 13:12:33 -0600

At 01:42 PM 2/3/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Hi,
>I am getting some odd messages from
>the following program fragment, where seed is unsigned
>(I'm setting my generators from clock*process):
>
>//// begin fragment
>fprintf(stderr,"setting seed...\n");
>randomGeneratorR = [PMMLCG1 create: globalZone
>  setStateFromSeed: seed];
>fprintf(stderr,"...done setting seed.\n");
>
>uniformUR = [UniformUnsigned create: globalZone
>  setGenerator: randomGeneratorR];
>fprintf(stderr,"...done setting up UNSIGNED distribution.\n");
>
>uniformIR = [UniformInteger create: globalZone
>  setGenerator: randomGeneratorR];
>fprintf(stderr,"...done setting up INTEGER distribution.\n");
>
>uniformDR = [UniformDouble create: globalZone
>  setGenerator: randomGeneratorR];
>fprintf(stderr,"...done setting up DOUBLE distribution.\n");
>
>normalDR = [NormalDistribution create: globalZone
>  setGenerator: randomGeneratorR];
>fprintf(stderr,"...done setting up NORMAL distribution.\n");
>/// endfragment
>
>Why do I get the following output, i.e., the two messages
>from initState, which seem to come when I am starting
>the normal distribution object?
>
>setting seed...
>...done setting seed.
>...done setting up UNSIGNED distribution.
>...done setting up INTEGER distribution.
>...done setting up DOUBLE distribution.
> initState: IEEE is defined
> initState: sun word order
>...done setting up NORMAL distribution.
>
>Maybe some leftover debug messages?
>If these are right, should I have sun word order,
>on my hpux sysv based  machine?
>
>This is on hpux, using Swarm Makefile.conf with just these changes:
>  SETUP=umich
>  SYS=hpux
>  LDCONFIG=archive
>(the SETUP SFI and NONE  options commented out at the top)
>and later in the Makefile.conf
>  OPTFLAGS= -O3
>
>Thanks.
> - r

Rick,

those are indeed a couple of leftover debug messages from when I ported
the relevant code from libg++. You may ignore them.

[ Now, if your setup uses non-IEEE compatible math,
there may be a problem! ]

Note to Glen: I could have sworn I removed those messages
from the last version of random I sent you ... ?

-Sven