list split (was Re: Lurker)

From: glen e. p. ropella
Subject: list split (was Re: Lurker)
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 10:19:30 -0700

Brian, Pam, and Catherine,

I agree that it would be a good thing to have two lists, one for
Installation/Mechanics and one for Modelling/Theory; but we just don't
have any modelling/theory discussion on swarm-support.  Until there's
evidence that that list would get any traffic at all, there's no point
in making it.  I can imagine a situation where we create a modelling
list and nobody (or very few) posts to it.  Then, since nobody is
posting to it, it makes it look like nobody's reading it.  So, then if
someone did have a modelling issue, they'd post it to the installation
list *anyway*.  That ruins the whole purpose behind having two lists
in the first place.

The only way to provide evidence that the modelling list would
actually be worthwhile is if people began discussing modelling
issues on swarm-support.  We've had some of that kind of traffic
recently; but, certainly not enough to warrant a different list.

So, we need to raise modelling issues in order to get people
used to using swarm-support (or a future modelling list) as
a resource for bouncing their ideas around.

Maybe people will be pumped after SwarmFest.

glen