Apps won't compile

From: John Eikenberry [MSAI]
Subject: Apps won't compile
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 02:04:51 -0500 (EST)

Hello,

I finally found the time to upgrade to 1.0 but I can't seem to get any of
the apps to compile. I keep getting the error:

gcc -g -L../../swarm/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib -L/usr/local/lib -L/usr/lib  -o
hello-world main.o Person.o Counter.o PplModelSwarm.o PplObserverSwarm.o
-lanalysis -lsimtools -ltkobjc -lactivity -lrandom -lswarmobject
-lcollections -ldefobj -ltclobjc -lBLT -ltk -ltcl -lXpm -lobjc -lX11 -lm
/usr/lib/libtcl.so: undefined reference to `dlerror'
/usr/lib/libtcl.so: undefined reference to `dlopen'
/usr/lib/libtcl.so: undefined reference to `dlsym'
make: *** [hello-world] Error 1

I get this for all the demos (plus my own hacks). So you have
more of a context here is a rundown of what I did & have installed.

First I upgraded my tcl/tk libs to 7.5/4.1 (off the redhat 4.0 cd). I
then set about compiling BLT2.1 and libtclobj-1.1b6. I had some trouble
with these. BLT needed to have its Makefile altered to look at the right
directory. For libtclobj I had to alter the configure file so that it
didn't insist on libtcl.a/libtk.a and I could use libtcl.so/libtk.so
instead. I then applied the patch so I could compile it with my gcc-2.7.2.1
which has been patched with Scott Christley's patches (960906). This was
Ted Belding's patch that he made against litclobjc-1.1b3. 1 hunk was
rejected and I fixed it by hand (it was easy... the code had just moved
a few lines). Swarm compiled with no problem, but then none of the apps
would compile (as I explained above).

I searched through the mail archives for these errors or a similar
problem and had no luck. I have just started coding my own application
and am nearing the point when I'll want to start trying to compile it...
So any tips or help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

John Eikenberry
address@hidden
 will deserve neither and lose both."