Re: Configure problems with libtclobjc (Redhat 4.0, Tcl 7.5, Tk 4.1)

From: glen e. p. ropella
Subject: Re: Configure problems with libtclobjc (Redhat 4.0, Tcl 7.5, Tk 4.1)
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 1997 08:43:47 -0700

Tony Bigbee writes:
 > It is my pleasure to report that I successfully completed the install
 > and certain heatbugs have reached nirvana :P

Allright!

 > Glen - your suggestion is what I wound up doing, though I tried an
 > earlier suggestion of changing the Makefile.conf itself with a
 > libtcl.*.  When that did not work (I saw error messages during Make of
 > "autoconf" not being a shell command), I reverted to typing in the
 > locations.

Did you mean to say the "configure" file in libtclobjc?  I'm not
sure where one might use libtcl.* in the Makefile.conf.  But,
it's interesting that it then required autoconf... Hmmm.

 > My success in installation is a direct result of two posts to the
 > support list:
 > Barry McMullin's of 7 Jan, and Kyle Chuang's of 19 Feb.  I am
 > considering combining the two along with adding a few comments (to
 > explain some commands for Linux novices like me) and posting it up on my
 > website, or handing it off to you.   I may also include some information
 > about my journey down the eightfold path of updating Tcl7.5/tk4.1 to
 > 7.6/4.2.  Is anyone interested in seeing this mini how-to?

I think it would be a good idea.  You can leave it on your website,
if you want and just pass me a reference.  I can put a link somwhere
in our pages.  Would you use the Linux HowTo format?

 > Although Redhat's RPM (Redhat Package Manager) is a wonderful feature
 > that allows nearly effortless updating of the myriad components of Linux
 > and X Windows, it seems to put things in places slightly different than
 > one would expect via normal compilation procedures.

Presumably, they have reasons for doing things differently.  Does
anybody know those reasons?

 > Additionally, RPMS are available for the latest versions of gcc:
 >
 > gcc 2.7.2.1-2
 > gcc-c++
 > gcc-objc
 >
 > ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/redhat-4.1/i386/RedHat/RPMS/

Are they also available for the PowerPC?  Or would one still
have to patch it to get ObjC working?

 > Thanks to all for suggestions.  I estimate total time that it took to
 > install was 2 full days.

Well, that ain't great, but, it's better than 3 staff weeks, which,
I think is our upper bound.  But, it does show that we still need
that configure script.  However, as your problem with libtclobjc
shows, a configure script can be just as difficult to work with
as without.

glen