Re: Configure problems with libtclobjc (Redhat 4.0, Tcl 7.5, Tk 4.1)

From: Tony Bigbee
Subject: Re: Configure problems with libtclobjc (Redhat 4.0, Tcl 7.5, Tk 4.1)
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 1997 21:44:49 -0500

glen e. p. ropella wrote:
> The configure script probably doesn't realize that your system
> is ELF and that it should be looking for *.so instead of *.a.
>
> If the configure script stops after saying "couldn't find libtcl.a",
> just type in the directory where the *.so files are and everything
> should work.  (You should have to do it for both tcl and tk.)
>
> glen

It is my pleasure to report that I successfully completed the install
and certain heatbugs have reached nirvana :P

Glen - your suggestion is what I wound up doing, though I tried an
earlier suggestion of changing the Makefile.conf itself with a
libtcl.*.  When that did not work (I saw error messages during Make of
"autoconf" not being a shell command), I reverted to typing in the
locations.

My success in installation is a direct result of two posts to the
support list:
Barry McMullin's of 7 Jan, and Kyle Chuang's of 19 Feb.  I am
considering combining the two along with adding a few comments (to
explain some commands for Linux novices like me) and posting it up on my
website, or handing it off to you.   I may also include some information
about my journey down the eightfold path of updating Tcl7.5/tk4.1 to
7.6/4.2.  Is anyone interested in seeing this mini how-to?

Although Redhat's RPM (Redhat Package Manager) is a wonderful feature
that allows nearly effortless updating of the myriad components of Linux
and X Windows, it seems to put things in places slightly different than
one would expect via normal compilation procedures.

Additionally, RPMS are available for the latest versions of gcc:

gcc 2.7.2.1-2
gcc-c++
gcc-objc

ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/redhat-4.1/i386/RedHat/RPMS/

Thanks to all for suggestions.  I estimate total time that it took to
install was 2 full days.

Tony