change in ProbeMap? in ActiveGraph?

From: Rick Riolo
Subject: change in ProbeMap? in ActiveGraph?
Date: Fri, 2 Jan 1998 15:02:32 -0500 (EST)

I noticed this change in the new (1.0.1) HeatbugsObserverSwarm.m .

The old version had:

+createBegin: (id) aZone {
  HeatbugObserverSwarm * obj;
  ProbeMap * probeMap;

Its now:

+createBegin: (id) aZone {
  HeatbugObserverSwarm * obj;
  id <ProbeMap> probeMap;

I noticed this because we have a variant of Heatbugs here
that I tried to make with the new swarm-1.0.4, and I got warnings:

HeatbugObserverSwarm.m: In function `_c_HeatbugObserverSwarm__createBegin_':
HeatbugObserverSwarm.m:40: warning: `ProbeMap' does not respond to
`setProbedClass:'
HeatbugObserverSwarm.m:41: warning: `ProbeMap' does not respond to `createEnd'
HeatbugObserverSwarm.m:45: warning: `ProbeMap' does not respond to `addProbe:'

and some more like that.
My version of heatbugs worked just fine despite these warnings.
These warnings all disappeared when I changed from
  ProbeMap * probeMap;
  id <ProbeMap> probeMap;

So...
What is the reason for that change?
Is that indeed the explanation for the warnings I got, which disappeared?

Perhaps related to the above:
In my variant of heatbugs, I use ActiveGraphs.
Under previous swarms I didn't get warnings, but now I get these:

HeatbugObserverSwarm.m: In function
`_i_HeatbugObserverSwarm__buildObjectsArgC_ArgV_':
HeatbugObserverSwarm.m:196: warning: `ActiveGraph' does not respond to
`setElement:'
HeatbugObserverSwarm.m:197: warning: `ActiveGraph' does not respond to
`setDataFeed:'
HeatbugObserverSwarm.m:198: warning: `ActiveGraph' does not respond to
`setProbedSelector:

I have some IVs defined:
  Averager *IAvger, *OAvger;
  GraphElement *IGraphElem, *OGraphElem;
  ActiveGraph *IGrapher, *OGrapher;
and the lines that generate the warnings above are:
        IGrapher = [ActiveGraph createBegin: [self getZone]];
        [IGrapher setElement: IGraphElem];
        [IGrapher setDataFeed: IAvger];
        [IGrapher setProbedSelector: M(getAverage)];

Again, the active graphs seem to work fine despite the warnings.

So...
Is there some change I need to make to get rid of those warnings?
Thanks!

 - r

Rick Riolo
address@hidden Program for Study of Complex Systems (PSCS)
4068 Randall Lab
University of Michigan         Ann Arbor MI 48109-1120
Phone: 313 763 3323                  Fax: 313 763 9267
http://pscs.physics.lsa.umich.edu/PEOPLE/rlr-home.html
http://pscs.physics.lsa.umich.edu//pscs.html