Re: Memory allocation/deallocations in swarm -- lead to thrashing?

From: joh
Subject: Re: Memory allocation/deallocations in swarm -- lead to thrashing?
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 1998 16:53:59 -0500 (EST)

> JOH> but also simple applications such as heatbugs grow their
> JOH> memory consumptions. Since the pop. size in heatbugs is static, I
> JOH> am a bit puzzled of the "memory leak."  If you haven't tried, run
> JOH> heatbugs in batchmode for a large durations. Then check the
> JOH> memory usage by using the commands either "ps u" or "ps m" (The
> JOH> command may slightly different for different OSs) You can see the
> JOH> amount of memory used by heatbugs grows slowly but steadily.
>
> How many iterations?  How big?  I don't see anything startling happen
> with heatbugs after 50000 iterations (5 meg).

Actually, in heatbugs' case, nothing really bad would happen since the
application is relatively small. However, the point is that the memory
consumption is steadly rising in any (or most) swarm applications regardless
of the size of the applications.

In reality, most of non-trivial simulation applications that use swarm
lib. are expected to be "medium" to "large" in terms of memory requirements
compared to heatbug application.

As I have mentioned in my previous mail, I have managed to make "hello-world
version 03" to thrash after a day of running in my other linux machine with
16Meg. (I know its small :-).

Cheers,

-Jae