Re: Memory allocation/deallocations in swarm -- lead to thrashing?

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: Re: Memory allocation/deallocations in swarm -- lead to thrashing?
Date: 20 Jan 1998 16:41:25 -0800

JOH> As I have mentioned in my previous mail, I have managed to make
JOH> "hello-world version 03" to thrash after a day of running in my
JOH> other linux machine with 16Meg. (I know its small :-).

I ran hello-world/v03 (swarm-1.0.5, swarmapps-1.0.2) for two hours
on an UltraSparc2 2300 and virtual memory usage grew by about 2 meg
starting at 5 meg.  This was with 200 people, not the default of 10.

You could easily start to thrash on a 16meg machine; X11R6 by itself
probably has you down to just a few meg free before you even start
a simulation.