Archive and Binary Swarm distributions: change strategy?

From: Paul E. Johnson
Subject: Archive and Binary Swarm distributions: change strategy?
Date: Wed, 04 Mar 1998 10:01:40 -0600 (CST)

Watching all these error messages and cries for help go by concerning the
versions of the C library and the edition of GCC, I'm wondering if the Swarm
sources ought to be distributed without the binary stuff and people should be
encouraged to do achive installs only. IMHO, SFI ought to distribute one source
with good install directions and let people compile it themselves. SFI people
would not have to chase their tails building new binary versions for every
change in OS that comes along.

Note that the original idea behind the binary install was that users can be
shielded from the task of changing system software (such at tcl/tk).
However, when the Swarm binary is distributed as compiled against GCC2.8, while
users of "standard" linux distributions are using GCC2.7.2, there are
inevitable problems.  The binary distribution
does not really save the user from the obligation of making some very big
changes in the OS. In fact, I'd rather install tk/tcl than swap out GCC.

The problem with the binary install method is that it proliferates the number
of problems that have to be investigated during an installation process.

I understand the trend is in the opposite direction, but I thought it might bear
some discussion.

Paul J
E-Mail: Paul E. Johnson <address@hidden>
Date: 04-Mar-98