Re: Archive and Binary Swarm distributions: change strategy?

From: pauljohn
Subject: Re: Archive and Binary Swarm distributions: change strategy?
Date: Wed, 4 Mar 1998 13:09:53 -0600 (CST)

I'm sorry, I don't think it is asking too much to do an archive intall.
Anyone who is expected to be able to write Objective C code and manage
Makefiles is capable of following directions about unzipping and
configuring tcl/tk.  If swarm were a "drag and drop" point and click
kind of thing, I might understand your position.  But it isn't.
The directions need to be clear and thorough, so more effort should be
paid to that.

I can't imagine a user who is going to be effective with swarm who could
not do those things.  I don't want to put words into your mouth, but I
suppose you are thinking about people who might like to use swarm but
don't know if they would, so they need an easy route to try it out.
Maybe for those people we could just distribute an MPEG file showing
what heatbugs looks like.  Or, as a second thought, if they just want to
run premade applications, couldn't we distribute executables of
"swarmapps 1.0.5" and let them run them?  Why do they need the swarm
source at all?

People can learn about their pcs if they have an incentive.