(FAQ SUPPORT REQUEST) Re: win95 installation

From: pauljohn
Subject: (FAQ SUPPORT REQUEST) Re: win95 installation
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 1998 00:47:09 -0600 (CST)

I just returned from Swarmfest to find lots of interesting installation
dialogue.  I have already been working on the "totally detailed step by
step install guide for Linux" and will announce it after I make a
fresh install of the final version of Swarm 1.1.

I'm having trouble working up any enthusiasm for doing the same for the
NT version.  I wish
someone would volunteer to write out the install steps in pathetic detail
for a "clean" win95 or nt machine.  Tell us every step you need to make
swarm work.  I already saw one person write part of a guide (Wei?) but
the list is already cluttered with comments about the need to download
a "hacked" BLT from SFI and swap out various dlls.  Frankly, since I know
many of these pieces of advice are not necessarily
correct/complete/helpful, I'd advise new users to be patient.  I think
many of the experts on the list assume that new users will understand
various details when they find them, but things reallly ought to be
written out.

So, if someone will volunteer to write up all the steps, as we have done
in the Swarm FAQ  for archive intalls under LInux, I'd be very grateful.
Please let me now if you are willing, and what is your time frame?  You
might also let Marcus know, and he can deflect questions about the install
by asking people to wait.  I suppose you ought to declare your intention
publicly in this list, and if your proposed time frame is not short
enough, someone else may propose to do it more quickly.

DO NOT post it to the list until you have sent it to Marcus and one
other knowledgable swarm user who can review it. If you send me a copy,
I could be the guinnea pig to make sure it works as promised.
After several stages of Swarm, I've found the worst thing is an incomplete
treatment.

Paul E. Johnson
Swarm FAQ maintainer