swarm on Win95

From: Dawn Trembath
Subject: swarm on Win95
Date: Thu, 02 Apr 1998 14:23:57 -0500

Please help. I have been unsuccessfully trying to get swarm to run on my
machine for almost a month now.  Unfortunately, I discovered a hardware
mismatch that prevents me from using Linux, so I am now trying the Win95
approach, again unsuccessfully.  There are many errors when I try to 'make'
swarm, but I don't yet know how to capture a screen to a file in Cygnus, or
the comparable command to 'more', so I can't really tell you what these are.

I guess my first question is exactly where all of the pieces are supposed
to go in relation to each other.  Where does Swarm go in relation to Cygnus
B19?  In a subdirectory of B19?  Or does this matter?  Also, where do the
extra pieces that I have downloaded belong?  I am following the Installing
Swarm instructions in swarmdocs/install.html.  It looks like: Tcl/Tk, BLT,
gcc and gdb are all included with Cygnus B19, so I only need: xpm, tclobjc
and GNU make, right?  Which directories do I need to put them in?

Also, I can't 'find' any of the files called 'Makefile.*'.  Do I need one
with Cygnus?  And, does it matter where I run 'make' from?

Thank you very much for any help you can provide.  Sorry if these answers
are already out there somewhere - just point me to them.

Dawn

Dawn Trembath
Cognitive Psychology Program
University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill