SWARM problems

From: Laurence
Subject: SWARM problems
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 1998 20:17:19 +0100

Hi,

I'm currently working on a model of chemotaxis using SWARM, and need some
advice.  I use objects to represent enzymes / proteins in the system that
signal each other.  I have different classes to represent each type of
component, and the present program contains 1 object of each class.  I now
need to extend it so that each protein type is represented in it's relative
concentration.

1) How can I create / manage a population of objects of different classes?
Do I need to use lists? Do I need a seperate list to hold the objects of
each class? Can you point me in the direction of some code that does similar
stuff?

2) At the moment, the classes are written whereby each class is explicity
typed. Eg. when class 'Receptor' signals class 'Enzyme_A', the receptor
object is given a pointer (of type Enzyme_A) in order to send a message to
the target.  In order to do this, the receptor class needs to include the
header file for 'Enzyme_a'. This is because if I make the target pointer
type id, I always get a compilation error.  However, I have the situation
where the receptor signals Enzyme_A, which in turn signals Enzyme_b, which
in turn signals the receptor.  By '#include'ing header files, the receptor
header includes the enzyme_a header, which in turn includes the enzyme_b
header, which in turn includes the receptor header -- hence, the receptor
header is including itself effectively, and an error is produced!  Help!
(Sorry if that doesn't read very clearly).

Best wishes, Laurence (address@hidden)
http://www.csc.liv.ac.uk/~laurence