Re: SWARM problems (followup question)

From: Doug Donalson
Subject: Re: SWARM problems (followup question)
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 1998 22:51:14 -0700

Paul,

   First, aZone=[self getZone] is the same thing as the [self getZone] in the
create
statement.  If  I were to complete something I probably started LONG ago, I
would
put aZone in the create statement so save processing time on function calls.
Obviously I forgot to complete it, thanks for reminding me.  :-)

The "offsetof" is a Swarm list option.  It allows you to send a message to a
list of
the sort [aList remove: aDeadBug].

Normally you would create an index and then do a:

while( (aBug=[index next]) != aDeadBug] )

This just automates it.

What would really be nice is if it didn't have to traverse the list everytime
(Hive:
hint hint hint ).  If the member is known and the remove could be done directly
from
the member then a high use O(n) function could be changed into an O(1).

That is one of the two things at the top pf my Swarm wish list, and it really
is a
"list".

Cheers,

   D3