Re: SWARM problems (followup question)

From: Paul Johnson
Subject: Re: SWARM problems (followup question)
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 1998 20:39:02 -0500 (CDT)

Dear Doug:
Thanks for sharing that code.  I understood almost all, except
I wonder what offsetof( x, y ) is.  Is that a ordinary c function
you have written?  What is its purpose?

What job are you aiming to get done with the customization of the list,
I guess I wonder.

What purpose do you serve by

aZone=[self getZone]; ???

Can't learn if I don't ask questions, you know!

pj

On Wed, 24 Jun 1998, Doug Donalson wrote:

> Here is create end where I set up the four lists.
>
> -createEnd
> {
> id listType;
> id aZone;
>
>   active=1;
>   aZone=[self getZone];
>
>   listType = [List customizeBegin: [self getZone]];
>   [listType setIndexFromMemberLoc: offsetof( AdultAphytis, listMember )];
>   listType = [listType customizeEnd];
>
>   adultAphytisList = [listType create: [self getZone]];
>
>   listType = [List custiomizeBegin: [self getZone]];
>   [listType setIndexFromMemberLoc: offsetof( AdultRedScale, listMember )];
>   listType = [listType customizeEnd];
>
>    adultRedScaleList=[listType create: [self getZone]];
>
>   listType = [List customizeBegin: [self getZone]];
>   [listType setIndexFromMemberLoc: offsetof( JuvenileAphytis, listMember )];
>   listType = [listType customizeEnd];
>
>    juvenileAphytisList = [listType create: [self getZone]];
>
>   listType = [List customizeBegin: [self getZone]];
>   [listType setIndexFromMemberLoc: offsetof( JuvenileRedScale, listMember )];
>   listType = [listType customizeEnd];
>
>   juvenileRedScaleList=[listType create: [self getZone]];
>

>    return self;
> }
>
> I hope this helps a little?
>
> Cheers,
>
>         D3
>

> Laurence wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm currently working on a model of chemotaxis using SWARM, and need some
> > advice.  I use objects to represent enzymes / proteins in the system that
> > signal each other.  I have different classes to represent each type of
> > component, and the present program contains 1 object of each class.  I now
> > need to extend it so that each protein type is represented in it's relative
> > concentration.
> >
> > 1) How can I create / manage a population of objects of different classes?
> > Do I need to use lists? Do I need a seperate list to hold the objects of
> > each class? Can you point me in the direction of some code that does similar
> > stuff?
> >

> > Best wishes, Laurence (address@hidden)
> > ---------------------
> > http://www.csc.liv.ac.uk/~laurence
> >
> >                   ==================================
> >    Swarm-Support is for discussion of the technical details of the day
> >    to day usage of Swarm.  For list administration needs (esp.
> >    [un]subscribing), please send a message to <address@hidden>
> >    with "help" in the body of the message.
> >                   ==================================
>

> --
> * Doug Donalson                                          * Office: (805)
> 893-2962
> * Ecology, Evolution, and Marine Biology   * Home:   (805) 961-4447
> * UC Santa Barbara                                      * email
> address@hidden
> * Santa Barbara Ca. 93106                           *
> *
> [...]

Paul E. Johnson                      address@hidden
Dept. of Political Science           http://lark.cc.ukans.edu/~pauljohn
University of Kansas                 Office: (913) 864-9086
Lawrence, Kansas 66045               FAX: (913) 864-5700