Re: SWARM problems

From: Doug Donalson
Subject: Re: SWARM problems
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 1998 16:21:37 -0700

Yes, I get this also.  It happens, sometimes, when following a set include files
wraps around on itself.  ie A needs to know about B, B needs to know about C, C
needs to know about A.  BUT... C claims that it can't find a definition of A.
This does not happen in every case of "wrap-around include definitions".

So, members of the Hive, inquiring minds want to know, how do we avoid this?

Cheers,

   D3

Laurence wrote:

> Hi,
>
> 2) At the moment, the classes are written whereby each class is explicity
> typed. Eg. when class 'Receptor' signals class 'Enzyme_A', the receptor
> object is given a pointer (of type Enzyme_A) in order to send a message to
> the target.  In order to do this, the receptor class needs to include the
> header file for 'Enzyme_a'. This is because if I make the target pointer
> type id, I always get a compilation error.  However, I have the situation
> where the receptor signals Enzyme_A, which in turn signals Enzyme_b, which
> in turn signals the receptor.  By '#include'ing header files, the receptor
> header includes the enzyme_a header, which in turn includes the enzyme_b
> header, which in turn includes the receptor header -- hence, the receptor
> header is including itself effectively, and an error is produced!  Help!
> (Sorry if that doesn't read very clearly).
>
> Best wishes, Laurence (address@hidden)
> ---------------------
> http://www.csc.liv.ac.uk/~laurence

* Doug Donalson                                          * Office: (805)
893-2962
* Ecology, Evolution, and Marine Biology   * Home:   (805) 961-4447
* UC Santa Barbara                                      * email
address@hidden
* Santa Barbara Ca. 93106                           *
*
*   The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that
*   heralds new discoveries, is not "EUREKA" (I have found it) but
*   "That's funny ...?"
*
*       Isaac Asimov
*