Re: Making swarm-1.2 work with redhat 5.1

From: Philip Rhoades
Subject: Re: Making swarm-1.2 work with redhat 5.1
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 1998 19:58:45 +1000

Paul,

> I'm not trying to be a smart alec by asking this, but are you sure
> you've got
>    1. tclobjc compiled correctly?  (does make check give a "hello from
> tclobjc"?)

I tried to run "configure" in the tclobjc dir and got:

checking for gcc... gcc
checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) is a cross-compiler... no
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for ranlib... ranlib
checking for pthread_create in -lpthread... yes
checking for prefix by checking for tclsh... /usr/bin/tclsh
checking for NeXT compiler
checking for objc_next_class in -lobjc... no
You must apply the patch ./gcc.patch to the gcc source dir
then recompile and install libobjc.a,
then rerun this configure script.

- I can't find gcc.patch anywhere - the version is 2.7.2.3 that comes with
RH5.1 which is the same as the one on the Swarm site - does the Swarm gcc
come with the patch?

>    2. Do you have the directory name exactly correct in your configure
> statement?

Yes - except that I have now changed to tclobj to tclobjc to more correct.

>    3. If you tried configure before, did you type "make distclean"
> between efforts? If you had the blt directory wrong before, it will
> never get fixed unless you erase all the sources and untar it again
> or try make distclean.  In my case, it seems sometimes even make
distclean
> does not work and I have to remove the whole source tree.  Some people
> have written to say I'm wrong there, so I can't explain why it doesn't
> work.

I untarred before every attempt - I think it is tclobjc compile problem.

Thanks,

Phil.