Any old Swarmers reading the list today?

From: Paul E. Johnson
Subject: Any old Swarmers reading the list today?
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 1998 17:16:10 -0500 (CDT)

I'm rushing to write a paper comparing swarm for a political science
meeting and it occurred to me that it would be nice to have a little
bit of story about the genesis of Swarm.  I know the general bit,
but I'd like to know a little more detail.

I don't know what inparticular I'm hoping to find out. Perhaps I'd
ask questions like this to jog your memories.

Was there a "pivotal moment" when someone said "dang, we need to put
together software for that!"  (If this story has people in a bar sketching
on a series of napkins, I won't be surprised!)

How was the project originally justified to SFI and external funding
entities?

How did they decide to build the project under the GPL?

How  were the original programmers drawn into this project?

Well, as I said, I don't have any particular purpose, I'd just like a few
interesting stories to spice up my paper.

University of Kansas                  Office: (913) 864-9086