ControlPanel puzzle (1.2)

From: Sven N. Thommesen
Subject: ControlPanel puzzle (1.2)
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 1998 16:41:14 -0500

All,

I've noticed the following strange behavior from the control panel:

1. While the sim is running:
        a) after I hit Stop, the sim runs 2 more periods before stopping;
        b) then, I have to hit Step or Next twice before anything happens;
        c) if I hit Quit, the sim runs 1 more period before quitting.

2. After the sim has been halted with [controlPanel setStateStopped]:
        a) need 2 presses on Quit to dismiss the sim;
        b) need 2 presses on Next or Step for every time period executed;
        c) the Start button acts like Next/Step instead of letting the sim run.

Anyone else see this behavior? Looks like a bug to me ...

(Unless the problem is in the [controlPanel setStateStopped]  message; I
note that HeatbugBatchSwarm calls [self stopRunning], while mousetraps does
[getTopLevelActivity() terminate]. Which is the preferred method of
stopping, for GUI and non-GUI apps respectively ?

And finally: what's the intended difference between 'Step' and 'Next' ?

-Sven