Re: ControlPanel puzzle (1.2)

From: James Marshall
Subject: Re: ControlPanel puzzle (1.2)
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 10:17:16 GMT

Hi,
  is this behaviour happening with your own sim, or one of the
examples? I had something similar and found out it was due to the way
I was scheduling events... I was creating more than one action for
the sim, when actually it was better to create one ActionGroup with
all the required actions within it. Every time you press the step
button, as far as I understand it, one action or ActionGroup from the
schedule is executed.
  I'm afraid I don't know about the rest of your problems though,
        James

> All,
>
> I've noticed the following strange behavior from the control panel:
>
> 1. While the sim is running:
>       a) after I hit Stop, the sim runs 2 more periods before stopping;
>       b) then, I have to hit Step or Next twice before anything happens;
>       c) if I hit Quit, the sim runs 1 more period before quitting.
>
> 2. After the sim has been halted with [controlPanel setStateStopped]:
>       a) need 2 presses on Quit to dismiss the sim;
>       b) need 2 presses on Next or Step for every time period executed;
>       c) the Start button acts like Next/Step instead of letting the sim run.
>
> Anyone else see this behavior? Looks like a bug to me ...
>
> (Unless the problem is in the [controlPanel setStateStopped]  message; I
> note that HeatbugBatchSwarm calls [self stopRunning], while mousetraps does
> [getTopLevelActivity() terminate]. Which is the preferred method of
> stopping, for GUI and non-GUI apps respectively ?
>
> And finally: what's the intended difference between 'Step' and 'Next' ?
>
> -Sven

James Marshall - Postgraduate Research Student (MPhil/PhD)
Artificial Intelligence Group - Department of Computer and Information Sciences
De Montfort University - Milton Keynes Campus
Web:- http://www.mk.dmu.ac.uk/~jmarshall/