Re: ControlPanel puzzle (1.2)

From: Sven N. Thommesen
Subject: Re: ControlPanel puzzle (1.2)
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 1998 09:02:11 -0500

At 03:40 AM 7/29/98 -0600, Alex wrote:

>Yes, whilst not strictly a bug, it is kind of weird - and it has been
>with Swarm for a while now.  Like 90% of Swarm users (which I was
>before working on Swarm) most of the time I've actually ignored it -
>as Doug Donaldson points out - it won't affect your simulation
>results.
>
>However, I agree that least surprise is better, and we will try to get
>a fix in as soon as we can.

Sounds good! While some of this 'unexpected' behavior can safely be
ignored, even if a little annoying, the new behavior of the Start button is
something I can't live with! Used to be, you could have the sim stop say at
time step 50, then look at the state, then hit Start and the sim would go
on until halted from the control panel. Not so now, Start works just like
Next or Step. Needs a bugfix!

>In the Swarm case - `Step' would be like stepping into an activity
>that had a more fine-grained schedule, whilst `Next' would keep you at
>that level of granularity.
>
>That's all theory, unfortunately.  At the moment there should be no
>effective functional difference.

Ah! Another one of those promised-but-not-yet-implemented features ...
(You and Marcus could probably work for a decade implementing all the nifty
features the original gang dreamed up for inclusion later! <grin>)

Cheers,
Sven