Re: Help!: of Swarm, Objective-C and

From: Paul E. Johnson
Subject: Re: Help!: of Swarm, Objective-C and
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 1999 15:29:52 -0600

"William S. Shu" wrote:

> Thanks for the valuable suggestions.  Most of the problems have "gone away".
> Some others (probably even more naive) have surfaced, or rather, have risen
> in importance:
>
> 1)    Is there any way of type-checking, at least at compile-time, that the
> entries of a list (or any collections.h object) are of the same (or a
> particular) type (c.f. templates in C++)?  (Writing code to check this seems
> to entail duplicating methods of the list protocol!)
Why doesn't this method in Collections work?

     - (BOOL)allSameClass
     Returns YES if all members are of the same class.

> 2) Swarm examples and Control Panel interaction:
>     a)    Why can one not change parameters via the GUI windows in the
> heatbugs (1.3.1) example -- in fact from all (most?) the examples?
Are you not hitting enter after you put the numbers in the boxes? Enter
is necessary!

>     b)    In which objects/variables should the above values be kept?  How
> can they be accessed from within a program?
You need to do the tutorial distributed with the swarmapps.  Read
through Hello World too.
 Look in the ModelSwarm.m file for some examples of answers to your
question.

> >     c)    One can also change methods from the windows, right? How does one
> do that?  In which variables/methods are they kept or accessed from within a
> program?
Each class can have its own probemap that shows values inside the object
and allows you to change them.

>     d)    The start button on the control panel seems to mean "resume from
> where you last stopped OR, INITIALLY, start from the beginning".  How can
> one have the meaning of "restart -- perhaps from an earlier point in time,
> possibly the beginning" without having to start a new program run.  This
> provides a sort of roll-back facility or may be useful when you want to
> tinker with parameters (possibly of sub-swarms only) without having to
> restart the whole process!  (Perhaps viewing things this way is not
> necessary, and there may be "swarm-inclined" alternatives for rollback.)

Start does indeed resume. I'm in favor of something like restart, but it
is not built into Swarm yet (maybe never?).  My effort to allow "restart
form beginning" is in a package called RepeatingHeatbugs on my
homepage.  If you can work out the last few kinks in there, you will be
famous.  Its in the Swarm directory of my homepage

http://lark.cc.ukans.edu/~pauljohn/Swarm