Re: Help!: of Swarm, Objective-C and

From: William S. Shu
Subject: Re: Help!: of Swarm, Objective-C and
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 11:50:36 -0000

>> 2) Swarm examples and Control Panel interaction:
>>     a)    Why can one not change parameters via the GUI windows in the
>> heatbugs (1.3.1) example -- in fact from all (most?) the examples?
>Are you not hitting enter after you put the numbers in the boxes? Enter
>is necessary!
>>
>>     b)    In which objects/variables should the above values be kept?
How
>> can they be accessed from within a program?
>You need to do the tutorial distributed with the swarmapps.  Read
>through Hello World too.
> Look in the ModelSwarm.m file for some examples of answers to your
>question.

I think the thrust of my question was not quite clear and perhaps my
skimming over swarmapps examples (inforamtion overload, again) missed
something.

My problem is essentially: how do I (as programmer, not user) get control of
the swarm application once variables have been changed or methods invoked?
(c.f. the use of user-defined interrupt handlers in C after a given
interrupt).  For instance, if I decrease the number of swarm objects
(agents), I would want to kill off some of them and restore any other agents
that depend on them in a sensible state before resuming execution.

>Start does indeed resume. I'm in favor of something like restart, but it
>is not built into Swarm yet (maybe never?).  My effort to allow "restart
>form beginning" is in a package called RepeatingHeatbugs on my
>homepage.  If you can work out the last few kinks in there, you will be
>famous.  Its in the Swarm directory of my homepage
>
>http://lark.cc.ukans.edu/~pauljohn/Swarm

I'm not sure I am swarm-mature enough to tackle the task.  But I did
download the packages RepeatingHeatbugs and Majority_rule 1.1, but they only
crash my system!  (I am still on Swarm 1.3.1 (windows 95), with no
temptation to move to 1.4.1 before 2.0 !)