Re: Strange problems with graph library

From: Axel von Kamp
Subject: Re: Strange problems with graph library
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 17:10:33 +0000

> Why not try the easy way out. If you don't want to use the swarm rpm I
> compiled, you can always grab the src.rpm and then rebuild for your
> specific installation. Since I'm a redhat user, these are designed for
> egcs and will take that egcs problem into account.

Since you are a redhat user, could you try to reproduce the problem that I
reported ;-)? Here's a reminder:

I downloaded the limited graph library (graph-1.4.1.tar.gz) along with
the two example programs (Bank, DynamicGraph) from the Santa Fe ftp
server.
The example programs work fine, but as soon as I began to use the
library for my program I got segfaults. Closer analysis revealed that
this is related to the *length* of the string which is used as a label
when displaying a node. When I use a string with 2, 6, or 10 characters
as a label for a node the program crashes. Strings of a different length
(I've tested only up to 10 characters so far) work fine.
To reproduce this behaviour you can modify ModelSwarm.m in
DynamicGraph-1.4.1. In buildObjects you can change the string which is
used to label the nodes:
    [theNet addNode: [[[DiGraphNode createBegin: [self getZone]]
                        setNodeLabel: "Node"]
                       createEnd]];
                                       +++++ try different strings here

> Life is sweet if you take the swarm-1.4.1.src.rpm and
>    rpm -ivh swarm-1.4.1.src.rpm

That's what I did. But being unaware of the following procedure I just moved
the source tar.gz to /usr/local and compiled it.

>    cd /usr/src/redhat/SPECS
>         rpm -ba swarm.spec  (or whatever the spec file is)
>
> The beauty of this is that you can then install the rpm from
> /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386 and, if it does not work for you, just use rpm
> -e to remove it.  No fuss, no muss.

I'm going to give that a try next time.

> If you want to, you can edit the swarm.spec file and change the prefix
> variable to install somewhere else.
>
> I know some people like the debian package manager better, but I've
> become comfortable with RPM and think it works pretty nicely.

I like RPM as well but cannot compare it to the debian package manager since
I haven't yet used it. I was just unaware of the procedure laid out for
source rpms :)