Re: Scrollable bash and print to logfile

From: donalson
Subject: Re: Scrollable bash and print to logfile
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 1999 11:45:38 -0700

Julie,

   Given the short amount of time it takes to do a reinstall, I would take that
approach.  The only thing you have to be aware of is that if you do it too
often,
your path as set in your autoexec.bat gets clogged with multiple copies of the
swarm paths because they don't get deleted with uninstall.  Eventually, you
should
go in and clean them out.

Cheers,

   D3

Julie Dugdale wrote:

> Hi,
>
> >First, I have no self control so I must...
> >You have a GREAT last name!!!  (I am Douglas Dale Donalson [grin])
>
> Thanks, it's not often I get compliments on my name (the same as yours with
> a bit of abbreviation and omission :-)
>
> >I have never ben successful at getting scrol bars on the Win 95/98 DOS window
> >(which is what bash uses.)  It works in NT.  The alternate is to get emacs
> for
> >windows.  (I'm sorry but I can't remember the site.  I'll bet one of the
> drones
> >can help with that.)  It is an easy install with one requirement, install
> it on
> >your C: drive.  When I make a new Swarn install I install emacs followed by
> >Cygnus and finaly Swarn.  Marcus has done such a good job with the Win
> version
> >of the install that Swarm autoimatically finds emacs and makes the Cygnus
> shell
> >its default.  All you have to do is start an emacs window, hit ESC-x, type in
> >the word "shell" followed by return and presto... bash in emacs.  Then you
> have
> >scroll bars and a whole lot more.
> >I strongly recomend this approach.  Hope this helps...
>
> Yep, it certainly does. I'm sort of thinking about reinstalling everything.
> I get the impression from your email that this would be simpler than
> manully reconfiguring Swarm/Cygnus to use emacs? It is *really* hideous, or
> is reinstallation a safter bet?
>
> Thanks
> Julie

> Dr Julie Dugdale                        email:address@hidden
> ARAMIIHS-IRIT                   phone: +33.5.61.55.77.07
> Universite Paul Sabatier                fax: +33.5.61.55.77.09
> 118, Route de Narbonne
> 31062 TOULOUSE cedex
> FRANCE

* Doug Donalson                 Office: (805) 893-2962
* Ecology, Evolution,           Home:   (805) 961-4447
* and Marine Biology            email address@hidden
* UC Santa Barbara
* Santa Barbara Ca. 93106
*
*   The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that
*   heralds new discoveries, is not "EUREKA" (I have found it) but
*   "That's funny ...?"
*
*       Isaac Asimov
*